[gmx-users] how to optimize performance of IBM Power 775?

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Sun Aug 26 04:39:52 CEST 2012

Beyond optimizing your number of cores and npme (by hand I guess in your case), you can try hyperthreading (talk to your sysadmins if you can not simply run 2N threads, where N is the number of cores. I found on a power 6 that if you have N cores, it is optimal to run 2N-1 threads, rather than 2N threads. Nevertheless, I have found that the IBM power 5 and power 6 machines run gromacs significantly slower than, for example, a Nehalem. I don't know if it's a lack of gromacs hardware-specific optimization or simply a function of the lower power consumption of the IBM power series.

A number of years ago, I posted a few emails to this list on how to optimize compilation on the power machines (flags, etc). You should be able to find those by searching.

Good luck,
Chris.