[gmx-users] Re: Cross-correlation maps

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 28 07:26:34 CEST 2012

On 28/08/2012 3:09 PM, James Starlight wrote:
> Hi Tsjerk!
>
> Normally during analysis of the MD trajectory I've observed frequent
> side-chain fluctuations (ps timescale) cased by the temperature motion
> of the atoms as well as larger-scale backbone motions ( on the ns
> time).
>
> The ps  side-chains motions are known to especially increase total
> enthropy of the system in comparison to the backbone dynamics where
> such factor is less meaningful. Also there is suggestion that such
> enthropy-dominated motions could be functional-relevant due to
> possible coperativity of that process ( e.g fluctuations in one side
> of protein case increase dynamics in another part of such molecule
> without visible pathways between both parts )

So you're looking for correlated motion of atoms distant in space. That
will appear as off-diagonal entries in the correlation matrix. Think
about what sort of correlation matrices and eigenstructure you would
expect for a system of a small number of SHM oscillators under different
sorts of correlation conditions. Then worry about proteins.

> The main goal of my study to find out such coperativity in some
> proteins. So I want to detect such coperativity in fluctuations of the
> side-chains. As I've found the only way to do it is the calculation of
> the cross-correlation maps.

Cross-correlation is an analysis distinct from looking at off-diagonal
(a.k.a. "cross") elements of a correlation matrix.

>   When I've performed PCA of my 100ns
> trajectory and examined filtered.xtc trajectory consisted of first 50
> principal components) I didt observed any fluctuations of the
> side-chains ( only backbone motions were presented) So I could
> calculate only correlations in the backbone atoms motions. Is there
> any way to observe such cross-correlations for side chains as well ?

Did you construct a correlation matrix from side chain atoms?

Mark