[gmx-users] Error with MARTINI depending by the box size

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 00:00:32 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:44 PM, francesco oteri <francesco.oteri at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
> you are right respect the -vdwd 0.4: In MARTINI tutorials they suggest to
> use 0.21. Since I still got errors with this procedure, I decided to remove
> water manually through vmd.

Don't change things until you know *why* they don't work. That means
visualizing the results of the recommended workflow until you see a problem
emerge (which I think is in your starting protein configuration, if the
standard procedure also gave problems).

Why did you decide to double the margin to 0.8nm? You would create an
unphysical void, so numerical instability seems pretty likely. (But I think
you have a more serious problem as well.)

Even if this change was needed, you may as well do both clash-avoidance
procedures, in case there are things going on that you haven't thought of.

Looking carefully at the configurations, I found that the water molecule
> originating the error is exactly superimposed to an other molecule so I
> simply deleted it and the same error is reported for an other water
> molecule.
>
> Although I could scan all the pdb to detect all the superimposed water
> molecules, I believed genbox checked for this. Of course the original box
> does't contain superimposed molecules.

Shrug. You need to look at your intermediate structure files and find where
the problem first appears.

Mark