[gmx-users] conformational change

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:50:28 CET 2012

Hey Julio, Shine,

I would like to see the 'here' and 'here'. Pymol has two routines for
determining secondary structure, one of which uses the same approach as
dssp to classify helices and sheets. A relevant question is, what is a
helix? Is a helix a stretch of residues that is defined by dssp as helix?
That is also just a heuristic.
Justin is quite right that what is observed is largely the consequence of
the force field and settings. Make sure that the force field and settings
you use reproduce proper behaviour. The structure will not just change
because of the placement of waters, or that shouldn't be a persistent
effect.
And why would it be a helix for all of the residues for all of the time?
Because the crystal structure shows it's a helix? Maybe it's more flexible
in solution and only a helix for a given proportion of time. If you're
afraid to see (temporary) loss of structure, then it may be better not to
simulate at all.

Cheers,

Tsjerk