[gmx-users] conformational change

Julio Dominguez acheron24 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 14 14:57:00 CET 2012

Morning Shine and Tsjerk,
Sorry for the missing links (here and here), I was refering to PyMol wiki's and a blog:
http://macosxpostdoc.blogspot.mx/2012/04/dssp-through-pymol.html
http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/DSSP_Stride
But what Tsjerk mentions is far more relevant, I was thinking statically last night. First off, PyMol automatic secondary structure detection is spotty. Second, the command dss within PyMol does a better job. Third, the most systematic way to visualize secondary structure  within Pymol would be to use DSSP (or Stride) within PyMol.
Thinking dynamically, you could run do_dssp, part of Gromacs, and check the time course of the whole secondary structure during your simulation. There is also g_helix, which can output the % of time a structure spends as a helix.
As everybody has pointed out, the forcefield is the most probable cause. Be sure to check recent literature to make sure the ff you are using is not biased against (or in favor) of helical structures.
Best regards.