[gmx-users] conformational change

Leandro Bortot leandro.obt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 19:02:51 CET 2012

Hi all,

     I've had problems before with waters placed within a beta-sandwich
protein by genbox. Although it is theoretically a matter of running the
simulation and waiting for the waters to "come out", in practice this took
about 30 ns and destroyed a considerable amount of the beta-strands.

     The solution I found at the time was to use a bigger box and to remove
a shell of waters which were at a distance of 5 or less angstroms from the
protein. Then I did a very short (~100ps) NPT equilibration with position
restraints applied to the protein atoms. During this "solvation simulation"
the waters solvated the protein, the box shrank and the density increased
to the "normal" averages. I found that by doing this the waters enter the
cavities in a much more "natural" way.
     So, Shine, maybe doing this can help you, if the inner waters are
related to the helix destabilization. I used VMD to get the residue numbers
of the waters from the .gro file of the whole system (there were some
issues with pymol), then I removed such residues from the .gro file of the
box and adjusted the topology accordingly.

I hope it helps,
Leandro Bortot