[gmx-users] Re: Langevin Dynamics

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 14 19:15:15 CET 2012

On 12/14/12 12:40 PM, Dr. Vitaly Chaban wrote:
> If you have a correct temperature for the particle of interest,
> everything is correct.

One important caveat, of course, is a given thermostat's ability to produce
velocities that belong to a real NVT ensemble.  This is not the case, for
instance, with the Berendsen algorithm.  It maintains the temperature, but the
distribution is not canonical.  If the goal is simply to heat up a given species
and then proceed with further simulations, the method chosen during heating is
probably rather insignificant.

-Justin

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM, tarak karmakar <tarak20489 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Dr. Vitaly
>>
>> Yeap !
>>
>>  From that point of view I'm seeing the correct temperature drift and
>> it reaches nicely to 300 K after say, 300ps.
>> But is it a good integrator ( SD ) to perform this job ? Or, should I
>> opt for other, like Lep-frog or MD-VV with let say , Berendsen
>> thermostat?
>> Please explain a bit.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tarak

>>> Look at the temperature of protein and decide.
>>>

>>> Dr. Vitaly V. Chaban
>>> MEMPHYS - Center for Biomembrane Physics
>>> Department of Physics, Chemistry and Pharmacy
>>> University of Southern Denmark
>>> Campusvej 55, 5230 Odense M, Denmark
>>> --
>>> * Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080