[gmx-users] Re: Placing ions in the specified positions

Kathleen Kirchner kirchner at mis.mpg.de
Thu Feb 16 12:54:47 CET 2012

Dear James,

I was working for a longer time on ion placement within more or less
equilibrated structures. I found my nearly magical miracle solving those
problems in not using any gromacs tool for producing the input structure
but rather use the free software Packmol:

http://www.ime.unicamp.br/~martinez/packmol/

The software solves a mathematical minimization problem instead of
putting somewhere molecules and deleting others.

After a short energy minimization of the obtained output structure (a
few 100 steps of steep algorithm) usally my systems work fine.

Best
Kathleen

--
Kathleen Kirchner