[gmx-users] Adding new residue to the the force field

ramesh cheerla rameshgromacs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 13:56:23 CET 2012

Dear Mark,

                 Thanks for your reply. I am not using  both  LJ and
Buckingham in the same simulation, but trying to use only Buckingham . As
my system is a polymer which is made of the monomer unit that's what i am
adding to the force field. Our polymer system uses the parameters only from
the residue  which i have added to the forcefield through buckingham A,B &
C parameters.
I would like to ask the previous question again, Which values can i use for
the  [ pairtypes ] directive  in the ffnonbonded.itp can i use arbitrary
values or  zeroes what i noticed from my simulations is by changing the
sigma and epsilon values in the [ pairtypes ] directive energy values are
changing.
if i try to comment  out the pairtypes  'grompp'  is generating the
following errors( here i am sending only one error message )

ERROR 411 [file topol.top, line 862]:
  No default LJ-14 types

i am a little bit confused  why grompp is giving this error message though
i am using  the bucking potential by specifying the nbfunc as 2 in the [
default ] directive and providing the A,B,C values through [nonbond_params
] .
if it is mandatory to use pair types  how can i get these values for this
directive.

Thanks in advance.