[gmx-users] Re: Folding rate

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Jan 4 02:52:52 CET 2012

On 4/01/2012 12:35 PM, bharat gupta wrote:
> Thanks for all your replies. I want to know this can be done in
> gromacs or not - using REMD with structure based models generated from
> SMOG server to study protein folding and unfolding ??.

Well, it can be done, but you probably don't have enough computer to
fold a 230 residue protein at atomistic resolution (or maybe even
coarse-grained).

> Also, I have a question about how to determine  the exchange
> probablities for a particular REMD experiment and also how many
> replicas do we need to consider, does that depend on the temperature
> list generated from the T_REMD server??

There's a significant literature on these subjects. I suggest you read
some of it. Short answer: pick the highest temperature according to the
size of the largest barrier you expect to cross (good luck guessing
that), have around 20% exchange acceptance, and be prepared to observe
where the replica-flow bottle necks are and to iteratively refine you
temperatures.