[gmx-users] tesla vs gtx

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Thu Jan 5 15:20:50 CET 2012

Hi,

Teslas should be superior when it comes to reliability, but otherwise,
for Gromacs 4.6 GeForce cards are perfectly fine and no Tesla-specific
features will provide performance benefits. The only exception is
GPUDirect for InfiniBand which might not work with consumer boards --
, although I don't see why it wouldn't, except if it's simply disabled
in the driver.

Here are the reasons (based on the list on the page you provided):
- Faster Double Precision Performance - not needed;
- Faster Data Transfers to/from CPU (with full duplex PCI-E) - will
not help in 4.6;
- Direct GPU to GPU communication - will not be used in 4.6;
- Larger Memory Size	- not needed (simulation with millions of atoms
will run on a GeForce);
- Optimized for InfiniBand - not sure about it, but it might not work;
- Performance Drivers	 - simple solution: don't use Windows.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd