[gmx-users] System Exploding

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 26 14:02:44 CET 2012

Alex Seling wrote:
> Given the unfavorable input, then, it seems odd then that the same .mdp
> and protein ran consistently on 4.0.7, and I can't seem to find anything
> in the changelog to indicate a relevant change.

There are numerous algorithmic changes in the 4.5.x series.  Many people have
reported the same problem you have (something works in 4.0.x and not 4.5.x) and
the solution is to set nsttcouple (and, if applicable, nstpcouple) to 1 for an
initial equilibration phase.  The default is to have nsttcouple = nstlist,
which, in your case, is very infrequent.

Then, once the system is relaxed, you can remove this (very) frequent updating.
  The coupling algorithms in 4.0.x were more relaxed, such that a system that
was not necessarily well-optimized might have had better odds of "working" (i.e.
surviving), but as I understand it, the new algorithms are, overall, more robust.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar