[gmx-users] Trajectory

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jan 30 14:46:07 CET 2012

Steven Neumann wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
> <mailto:Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>> wrote:
>
>     On 30/01/2012 8:43 PM, Steven Neumann wrote:
>>     Dear Gmx Users,
>>
>>     I run the simulation of protein with 10 ligands (200 ns). In total
>>     I should have total of 4000 frames as I set up:
>>
>>     nsteps = 100000000
>>
>>     dt = 0.002
>>
>>     nstxout = 25000
>>

>     ... iff the simulation completed successfully.
>

>>     I used trjconv -f md.trr -o mdnojump.xtc -pbc nojump
>>
>>     The trajectory which I read in VMD has 3008 frames and my ligands
>>     completely disappear after 8 frame (They are not in PBC windows
>>     which I checked in Graphics -> Graphical Representation -> Periodic)
>>

>     Your choice of trjconv workflow demands that the protein be allowed
>     to diffuse away. What VMD makes of that is not really of consequence
>     to discuss here. Perhaps you can design a better trjconv workflow,
>     as here
>     http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions
>

>  Thank you. I managed to fix it using:
>
> trjconv -f md.trr -o md1000.xtc -skip 4  (1000 frames instead of 4000)
>
> Then accoring to the workflow (PBC) I used:
>

> trjconv -f md1000.xtc -s md.tpr -pbc mol -o mdmol.xtc
>

> trjconv -f mdmol.xtc -s md.tpr -center -o mdCENTER.xtc  (Center on a
> protein, output - System)
>

> trjconv -f mdCENTER.xtc -s md.tpr -fit rot+trans -o mdFit.xtc (Protein,
> output - System)
>

> However, all ligands jump rapidly
>
>  around the protein till the time they bind to the protein surface (and
> the begining they were randomly placed around the protein) one by one.
> At the end when all of them stacked on my protein everything is ok. Will
> you suggest something?

Is this unusual?  It sounds like the molecules diffuse around until they bind to
the protein.  You're centering on the protein and then fitting its translation
and rotation; everything else will be processed relative to those criteria.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee