[gmx-users] inquiry about SAS

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jul 3 16:51:34 CEST 2012

On 7/3/12 10:49 AM, Turgay Cakmak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am calculating SAS using g_sas of my system (several peptides in
> water and ions, Na and Cl). I choose:
>           for calculation group: non-water
>           for output group: protein
>   (400 out of 750 atoms were classified as hydrophobic)
>
> When I plot the Area vs time graphs, both the hydrophobic-SAS and
> hydrophilic-SAS decrease over the time. I think, the reason of the
> hydrophobic-SAS decrease from 65 nm2 to 30nm2 is due to aggregation of
> the peptides. But, I couldn't understant why hydrophilic-SAS is
> decreasing from 40 nm2 to 20nm2 over time. Do the results make sense?

Sure, you've got both hydrophobic and hydrophilic contacts happening.

> May be I mis-understand the meanings of the hydrophobic and
> hydrophilic SAS. Please, someone could explain it to me, I would be so
> glad.

These are merely subdivisions of total SASA.  Atoms are either polar
(hydrophilic) or nonpolar (hydrophobic) and thus contribute to the total SASA
based on their characteristics.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080