[gmx-users] bilayers move apart by nanometers upon implementing dihedral restraints on lipid tails

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Sun Jul 8 04:22:23 CEST 2012

A gel-state all-trans lipid bilayer is going to be thicker than a liquid-phase lipid bilayer.
I presume that you are starting far away from the all-trans conformation and I can imagine that this could
lead to a net force that pushes the lipids apart. Inertia might just take it from there.

You might be able to get around this by using the BD integrator, or perhaps the SD integrator with a
sufficiently strong friction. Either way, the idea behind this approach is to eliminate or reduce inertia.

Another idea, if you are simply trying to get an all-trans conformation of the lipid bilayer, you might put position
restraints on the headgroup phosphorus atoms and slowly reduce the force constant.

Your implied idea of slowly turning up the force constant for the dihedral restraints should also work.

Chris.

khandelia hkhandelia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 17:05:45 CEST 2012