[gmx-users] Re: Water molecules cannot be settled, why?

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:32:35 CEST 2012

Hi John,

Check where the unsettling water molecule is placed. If it's in the
protein. that may be the cause of the problem. Otherwise, it's some of
the other stuff you're doing, but rule out the simple things first.

Cheers,

Tsjerk

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM, John Ladasky
<blind.watchmaker at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello, everyone,
>
> I am reviving a discussion I started about a month back.
>

> http://gromacs.5086.n6.nabble.com/Water-molecules-cannot-be-settled-why-tt4998059.html
>

> I thought that I would try to work around the problem by only proceeding
> with those simulations that didn't crash, but I've reached a point of
> diminishing returns.  I even got one SETTLE error during my
> position-restrained preprocessing step.  I have to fix this problem.
>

> Jun 04, 2012; 1:36pm (Justin A. Lemkul):
>> The fact that the water molecule cannot satisfy the SETTLE algorithm
>> does not necessarily indicate that water is a problem - other clashes and
>> particles moving rapidly across the system can slam into an unsuspecting
>> water
>> molecule and cause issues.
>

> OK, I'll keep this in mind.  I am making chimeric molecules by manipulating
> PDB files.  It's possible that I'm making bad joints when I build my
> chimeras.  I will be surprised to learn that the minor alterations I've made
> to bond angles could impart so much energy to the system, but I'll take your
> word for it that I should be concerned.
>
> If there is a standard way to make chimeras with GROMACS, I am unaware of
> it.  I hardly see how there could be, given that there are many arbitrary
> choices to make.  The user would want a lot of control over bond angles and
> the positions of the fragments that are joined together.
>
> I have tried two other software tools to build my chimeras.  PyMol's "fuse"
> command does something that I do not want.  It makes nice bond angles at the
> joint, but it refuses to adjust bond angles anywhere inside the fragments.
> And so, PyMol has no compunction about putting one fragment straight through
> the middle of another (a condition which, I think, precludes the use of
> GROMACS pull code to correct it).  If I want to work with what PyMol gives
> me, I have to untangle the two halves of the chimera by selecting and
> rotating various bonds on the peptide backbone.  My choices are arbitrary
> and chosen by eye.  I may be introducing strain into the system when I do
> this.
>
> Because I was not satisfied with PyMol, I also wrote a custom chimera
> program (based on Biopython) which assumed that the peptide fragments were
> in approximately the correct orientation before joining.  I still need to
> bend a bond angle or two 20 or 30 degrees here and there, in order to expose
> the terminal amino acids before I start.  I superimpose a template of a
> trans-peptide bond at equilibrium on the C-terminus of the N-terminal
> peptide, then use the coordinates of the idealized peptide bond to translate
> (but not rotate) the C-terminal peptide into position.  The results, by eye
> at least, look believable.
>

>> Have you watched the
>> trajectory to see if anything weird is going on?
>

> I haven't seen anything egregious, but I'm not watching the solvent
> [...]

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.

post-doctoral researcher
Molecular Dynamics Group
* Groningen Institute for Biomolecular Research and Biotechnology
* Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials
University of Groningen
The Netherlands