[gmx-users] Problem with Inflategro!!!

Manikam Sadasivam Saravanan saravanan.ms3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 13:48:13 CEST 2012

my command to inflate was - perl inflategro.pl protein_popc.gro 4 POPC
14 system_inflated.gro 5 area.dat

my gro file looks like,

membrane protein in POPC 121-310KWITNOIONS
59522
    1SER      N    1  -2.092  -1.832  -1.359
    1SER    HT1    2  -2.149  -1.861  -1.436
    1SER    HT2    3  -2.150  -1.809  -1.281
    1SER     CA    4  -2.002  -1.942  -1.322
   91ILE    OT1 1527   0.033   1.945  -1.049
   91ILE    OT2 1528   0.057   1.922  -1.267
continued by popc and sol
    1POPC     N    1   2.963  -2.658   2.064
    1POPC   C12    2   3.003  -2.713   2.196
    1POPC   C13    3   2.954  -2.509   2.062
 8764SOL     OW57992   3.731   3.721  -2.405
 8764SOL    HW157993   3.749   3.653  -2.341
 8764SOL    HW257994   3.723   3.802  -2.353
   11.13710  11.41790   7.60370

when I inflate with box vectors value 11.13710  11.41790   7.60370, my
protein is out of inflated lipid boundary.  if i change my value to
1.39213   1.42723   0.00000 (dividing above value by half and half),
now my protein is at the center of inflated popc. but the area per
lipid even after inflation is still only 0.148 nm2.

should i use editconf with the whole .gro file containing protein,
popc  or i have to separate my protein only as a new.gro file and
perform editconf and then cat?

thanks for the suggestions!

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 7/18/12 7:07 AM, Manikam Sadasivam Saravanan wrote:
>>
>> no, water problem is solved, but my protein is still out of the bilayer,
>> When i change:minimize my box vector values and inflate...the protein
>

> What does this mean?
>

>> is packed inside. but now  the area per lipid is too low for popc its
>> like 0.148 nm2
>>

> After inflation, the area should be huge.  What was your command line for
> InflateGRO?
>
> If the protein is not in the desired location, you need to use editconf
> -center to adjust its coordinates.  Make sure it is also within a box that
> matches that of the lipid bilayer.
>
> -Justin

>>> So is the problem solved then?
>>>
>>> -Justin

>>> --
>>>
>>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>>> Research Scientist
>>> Department of Biochemistry
>>> Virginia Tech
>>> Blacksburg, VA
>>> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080
>>> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

>>> * Only plain text messages are allowed!
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
>>> * Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>>> interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
> Research Scientist
> Department of Biochemistry