[gmx-users] Re: Gromacs 54a7 force field

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 00:57:19 CEST 2012

Hi,

Justin, I am interested by your comments regarding the CHARMM lipids. In
particular can you elaborate as to why you think that the CHARMM lipids
are better than the united-atom ones (such as Berger and several GROMOS
variants).

As for the original question, the modifications in going from GROMOS
53A6 to 54A7 will not influence the combination with the Berger lipid
parameters, if the most common approach of using the parameters from the
'lipid.itp' file is taken. The interactions between protein and lipid
will remain the same, with the van der Waals interactions between the
protein and lipid treated using the GROMOS87 parameters as defined in
lipid.itp. From my experiences I would strongly recommend using 54A7
over 53A6, as we have seen instability in short helices in 53A6 that is
not reproduced when simulating the same systems with several other force
fields.

For the 'best' force field to choose when simulating a membrane-protein
system, there is no definitive answer that I (or anyone else) can give
you (yet). My own opinion is that currently CHARMM36 is probably too
slow (given that I would strongly recommend the use of the CHARMM TIP3P
water model with this force field) and that the all-atom protein force
fields are probably better than the united-atom ones. This means that I
would (for a PC membrane) use Berger for the lipids with OPLS-AA/L or an
AMBER force field for the protein. This is just my (current) opinion
though, I strongly suggest doing lots of your own reading before making
your mind up.

Cheers

Tom

--