[gmx-users] Re: Gromacs 54a7 force field

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 01:36:44 CEST 2012

Hi,

Yes, I agree with you regarding the combination of Berger and GROMOS
force field and requiring validation. I just wanted to point out the
interactions between the protein and lipid are treated in the same way,
irrespective of the different GROMOS protein force field used (when
using the parameters from lipid.itp).

Further on the topic of validation, the only work I know of that has
studied in detail the Berger/GROMOS combination
(doi:10.1088/0953-8984/18/28/S07) says that when using the standard
method as employed by the parameters in lipid.itp:

"the strength of interactions between hydrocarbon lipid tails and
proteins is significantly overestimated, causing a decrease in the area
per lipid and an increase in lipid ordering"

So the standard approach is probably not the most appropriate way to
combine the Berger lipids and the GROMOS protein force field. Rather
using combination rules (as for example done in the Berger/OPLS
combination) is probably better.

Cheers

Tom

--