[gmx-users] angle constraints

tarak karmakar tarak20489 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 11:20:49 CEST 2012

Sorry I should mention it at the very beginning that I have a linear
molecule and the angle is to be constrained at 180 degree. So what is
the best way of  constraining the angle for the linear molecule ?

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> On 24/07/2012 6:07 PM, Broadbent, Richard wrote:
>>
>> An Angle constraint amounts to fixing a triangle. To do this you need to
>> constrain the distances between all the atoms as you know the of the bonds
>> 6064, 6063 and 6063, 6065 and the angle between the two bonds it is a
>> trivial geometry problem calculate the length of the third side of the
>> triangle (6064,6065). However, as you are attempting to hold these atoms
>> in
>> a straight line I would suggest that a type 2 virtual site might
>> (depending
>> on your system) be a better idea.
>

> Indeed, a much better idea.
>
> Mark
>

>> Richard
>>

>> On 24/07/2012 07:21, "tarak karmakar" <tarak20489 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh ! Thnaks
>>> I saw that table, the angle_restrain option is there but not constraints
>>> .
>>> Anyway if suppose, I fix the distance between the two terminal atoms
>>> of the molecule, the angle will eventually be fixed at a particular
>>> given value. Is that the logic ?
>>> Actually I searched for this problem so many times but didn't get
>>> proper clue; in one of those mails I saw someone has dealt with some
>>> dummy atoms. I could not able to digest that logic.

> * Only plain text messages are allowed!
> * Please search the archive at

Tarak Karmakar
Molecular Simulation Lab.
Chemistry and Physics of Materials Unit
Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
Jakkur P. O.
Bangalore - 560 064
Karnataka, INDIA
Ph. (lab) : +91-80-22082809