[gmx-users] Pulling ligand - Different Profiles (Force vs time)

Steven Neumann s.neumann08 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 15:36:10 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>> ; Output parameters
>> nstxout     = 0
>> nstvout     = 0
>> nstfout     = 500
>> nstxtcout   = 1000       ; every 1 ps
>> nstenergy   = 500
>> ; Bond parameters
>> constraint_algorithm    = lincs
>> constraints             = all-bonds
>> continuation            = yes       ; continuing from NPT
>> ; Single-range cutoff scheme
>> nstlist     = 5
>> ns_type     = grid
>> rlist       = 1.4
>> rcoulomb    = 1.4
>> rvdw        = 1.2
>> vdwtype     = Switch
>> rvdw-switch = 1.0
>> ; PME electrostatics parameters
>> coulombtype     = PME
>> fourierspacing  = 0.12
>> fourier_nx      = 0
>> fourier_ny      = 0
>> fourier_nz      = 0
>> pme_order       = 4
>> ewald_rtol      = 1e-5
>> optimize_fft    = yes
>> ; Temperature coupling is on
>> tcoupl      = V-rescale                                  ; modified
>> Berendsen thermostat
>> tc_grps     = Protein LIG_Water_and_ions   ; two coupling groups - more
>> accurate
>> tau_t       = 0.1   0.1                                 ; time constant,
>> in ps
>> ref_t       = 298   298                                  ; reference
>> temperature, one for each group, in K
>> ; Pressure coupling is on
>> Pcoupl          = Parrinello-Rahman
>> pcoupltype      = isotropic
>> tau_p           = 2.0
>> compressibility = 4.5e-5
>> ref_p           = 1.0
>> ; Generate velocities is off
>> gen_vel     = no
>> ; Periodic boundary conditions are on in all directions
>> pbc     = xyz
>> ; Long-range dispersion correction
>> DispCorr    = EnerPres
>> ; Pull code
>> pull            = umbrella
>> pull_geometry   = distance  ; simple distance increase
>> pull_dim        = N N Y
>> pull_start      = yes       ; define initial COM distance > 0
>> pull_ngroups    = 1
>> pull_group0     = Protein
>> pull_group1     = LIG
>> pull_rate1      = 0.004      ; 0.004 nm per ps = 4 nm per ns
>> pull_k1         = 500      ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
>>
>> I run 3 pulling simulations with the same mdp  and I obtain 3
>> different profiles (Force vs time). Then I used 2xlonger pulling with
>> the same pulling distance and I run 3 simulations again. Each time I
>> obtain different profile. Can anyone explain me this? I am using
>> velocities from npt simulation as above (gen_vel = no and continuation
>> = yes) so I presume the output should be similar. Please, advice.
>>

> I assume you're passing a checkpoint file to grompp?  If you're relying on
> velocities from the .gro file, they are of insufficient precision to

Thank you Justin. I am using according to your tutorial:

grompp -f pull.mdp -c npt.gro -p topol.top -n index.ndx -t npt.cpt -o pull.tpr
mdrun -s pull.tpr -deffnm pull

Would you suggest:

grompp -f pull.mdp -c npt.gro -p topol.top -n index.ndx -t npt.cpt -o pull.tpr
mdrun -s pull.tpr -cpi npt.cpt -deffnm pull ??

Profiles do not vary slightly - the maximum pulling force (breaking
point) varies from 290 to 500 kJ/mol nm2 which is really a lot.

Steven