[gmx-users] Pulling ligand - Different Profiles (Force vs time)

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 27 15:39:54 CEST 2012

On 6/27/12 9:36 AM, Steven Neumann wrote:
> [...]
>>> ; Single-range cutoff scheme
>>> nstlist     = 5
>>> ns_type     = grid
>>> rlist       = 1.4
>>> rcoulomb    = 1.4
>>> rvdw        = 1.2
>>> vdwtype     = Switch
>>> rvdw-switch = 1.0
>>> ; PME electrostatics parameters
>>> coulombtype     = PME
>>> fourierspacing  = 0.12
>>> fourier_nx      = 0
>>> fourier_ny      = 0
>>> fourier_nz      = 0
>>> pme_order       = 4
>>> ewald_rtol      = 1e-5
>>> optimize_fft    = yes
>>> ; Temperature coupling is on
>>> tcoupl      = V-rescale                                  ; modified
>>> Berendsen thermostat
>>> tc_grps     = Protein LIG_Water_and_ions   ; two coupling groups - more
>>> accurate
>>> tau_t       = 0.1   0.1                                 ; time constant,
>>> in ps
>>> ref_t       = 298   298                                  ; reference
>>> temperature, one for each group, in K
>>> ; Pressure coupling is on
>>> Pcoupl          = Parrinello-Rahman
>>> pcoupltype      = isotropic
>>> tau_p           = 2.0
>>> compressibility = 4.5e-5
>>> ref_p           = 1.0
>>> ; Generate velocities is off
>>> gen_vel     = no
>>> ; Periodic boundary conditions are on in all directions
>>> pbc     = xyz
>>> ; Long-range dispersion correction
>>> DispCorr    = EnerPres
>>> ; Pull code
>>> pull            = umbrella
>>> pull_geometry   = distance  ; simple distance increase
>>> pull_dim        = N N Y
>>> pull_start      = yes       ; define initial COM distance > 0
>>> pull_ngroups    = 1
>>> pull_group0     = Protein
>>> pull_group1     = LIG
>>> pull_rate1      = 0.004      ; 0.004 nm per ps = 4 nm per ns
>>> pull_k1         = 500      ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
>>>
>>> I run 3 pulling simulations with the same mdp  and I obtain 3
>>> different profiles (Force vs time). Then I used 2xlonger pulling with
>>> the same pulling distance and I run 3 simulations again. Each time I
>>> obtain different profile. Can anyone explain me this? I am using
>>> velocities from npt simulation as above (gen_vel = no and continuation
>>> = yes) so I presume the output should be similar. Please, advice.
>>>

>> I assume you're passing a checkpoint file to grompp?  If you're relying on
>> velocities from the .gro file, they are of insufficient precision to
>> guarantee proper continuation.
>
> Thank you Justin. I am using according to your tutorial:
>
> grompp -f pull.mdp -c npt.gro -p topol.top -n index.ndx -t npt.cpt -o pull.tpr
> mdrun -s pull.tpr -deffnm pull
>
> Would you suggest:
>
> grompp -f pull.mdp -c npt.gro -p topol.top -n index.ndx -t npt.cpt -o pull.tpr
> mdrun -s pull.tpr -cpi npt.cpt -deffnm pull ??

No, I would not, especially if the NPT run uses position restraints, in which
case the two phases are different.  I missed the command line in the earlier
message.  What you are doing makes sense.

> Profiles do not vary slightly - the maximum pulling force (breaking
> point) varies from 290 to 500 kJ/mol nm2 which is really a lot.

Consult the points below and watch your trajectories.  If you're getting
different forces, your ligands are experiencing different interactions.  SMD is
a path-dependent, non-equilibrium process.  Good sampling and a justifiable path
are key.

-Justin

>> Small variations are inherent in any simulation set, and in the case of
>> pulling, small changes (though intentional) are the basis for Jarzynski's
>> method.  In any case, all MD simulations are chaotic and so it depends on
>> what your definition of "different" is in the context of whether or not
>> there are meaningful changes imparted through the course of each simulation.
>>   Also note that in the absence of the -reprod flag, the same .tpr file may
>> result in a slightly different outcome.  The implications of these outcomes
>> are limited by sampling; the ensemble should converge with sufficient time
>> and/or replicates.  For non-equilibrium processes like pulling, convergence
>> is probably harder, but again you have to ask whether the differences are
>> meaningful.
>>
>> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Reproducibility
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>> Research Scientist
>> Department of Biochemistry
>> Virginia Tech
>> Blacksburg, VA
>> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080

>> * Only plain text messages are allowed!
>> * Please search the archive at
>> * Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080