[gmx-users] Umbrella_pull_simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 7 12:08:45 CET 2012

shahid nayeem wrote:
> The attached profile.xvg and histo.xvg are here.
> sorry for sending earlier mail without attachments
> Shahid Nayeem
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM, shahid nayeem <msnayeem at gmail.com
> <mailto:msnayeem at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     As suggested by you I added some new window and extended some
>     simulation and I got the attached profile and histo file. Please see
>     these files. Experimentally it is known that wt protein-protein
>     interaction is stronger than the mutants. But I get here is reverse.
>     what could be the possible reason for it. My profile.xvg and
>     histo.xvg are right or they need more improvement.

I wouldn't base any conclusions off of them.  You have a sampling gap at just
over 4 nm in the mutant simulations.  More importantly, you do not have a
defined energy minimum in the mutant windows so it is impossible to calculate a
reliable value for DeltaG.  Moreover, in the absence of any error estimates, you
can't make any conclusions about these data.  g_wham can generate error bars for
you; I'd suggest you do it.

-Justin

>     Shahid Nayeem
>

>     On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
>     <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>         shahid nayeem wrote:
>
>             Thanks. But Does that mean that I should look in pullf.xvg
>             of each window and see whether the value is converged or
>             not. If not then I should extend the simulation.
>

>         I've already made numerous suggestions.  The value in pullf.xvg
>         is a consequence of the nature of the system.  Looking at the
>         interactions between your proteins, the stability of those
>         proteins, etc. is far more informative, like you would for any
>         simulation (even those that do not make use of the pull code).
>

>         -Justin
>
>         --
>         ==============================__==========
>
>         Justin A. Lemkul
>         Ph.D. Candidate
>         ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>         MILES-IGERT Trainee
>         Department of Biochemistry
>         Virginia Tech
>         Blacksburg, VA
>         jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu> | (540) 231-9080
>         http://www.bevanlab.biochem.__vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin
>         <http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin>

>         Please search the archive at
>         http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search> before
>         posting!
>         Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
>         www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>.
>         Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists>