[gmx-users] FW: Problem installing Gromacs: What next?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Mar 18 19:13:29 CET 2012

Suhaila Haji Mohd Hussin wrote:
> OK. I downloaded Gromacs 4.5.5. Unpacked it then type
>
> ./configure
>
> configure: error: Cannot find fftw3f library
>
> But I already install fftw3 properly.
>
> What is happening?

The commands below will install double-precision fftw, but Gromacs is single
precision by default.  The precisions must match.  The proper commands for fftw
in this case (as noted on
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Installation_Instructions#Details_for_building_the_FFTW_prerequisite)
  would be:

./configure --enable-float
make
make install

-Justin

> Cheers,
> Suhaila.
>
> From: bell_beauty12 at hotmail.com
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
> Subject: Problem installing Gromacs: What next?
> Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 05:53:20 +1200
>
> Hello.
>
> I already installed fftw3. After unpacking it, I install via the following:
>
> ./configure
>      make
>      make install
>

> But after that the instructions are not clear to me. Like, it's not
> telling where do I download Gromacs tar?
> Or do I need to type some command from fftw so that Gromacs should
> automatically built?
>
> I'm so confused. The instructions for beginners are very vague &
> frustrating.
>
> Please help,
> Suhaila.

Justin A. Lemkul