[gmx-users] minimum distance between periodic images does not aggree with box dimensions

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Tue May 1 14:59:56 CEST 2012

Hi Thomas,

The rhombic dodecahedron is built as a rectangular brick, which makes
it easy to fill with a rectangular bricklet of water. Now, for the
smaller distances the short edge of the rectangular brick is smaller
than the diameter of the particle, and it is represented fragmented.
Best way to get acquainted with this stuff is drawing a circle, and a
hexagon around it. Then tesselate a patch of space and draw the
corresponding rectangular cell. Try to translate the rectangle such
that the whole circle fits in. Good luck! :p

For the other thing, notice that the distance reported is close to a
bond length. Before checking the distances between periodic images,
make sure that the solute not fragmented...

Cheers,

Tsjerk