[gmx-users] Missing Interactions in [ angles ] Section in Topology

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 14 23:37:33 CEST 2012

On 5/14/12 5:15 PM, Lara Bunte wrote:
> Hi
>
> All needed parameters for [ angles ] in the topology are defined in my .rtp file parametrization and also in the ffbonded.itp in the CHARMM27 folder. This still don't work. In the topology my [ angles ] block looks like
>
> [ angles ]
> ;  ai    aj    ak funct            c0            c1            c2            c3
>      2     1    19     1
>      1     2     3     1    123.75     250.00
>      1     2     4     1    117.47     230.00
>      3     2     4     1
>      2     4     5     1    115.95     105.00

Well what are these atoms that have missing parameters?

By default, pdb2gmx will generate all possible angles based on bonded
connectivity.  Normally, CHARMM27 topologies have type 5 angles (Urey-Bradley)
and the parameters are not explicitly listed.  They are looked up from
ffbonded.itp when running grompp.

> So there are lines missing.
>

> In my ffbonded.itp angles are all defined like
>
> [ angletypes ]
> ; i     j       k       func    th0     cth     ub0     cub
> ; f5: Urey-Bradley
> NN3A    CN1A    ON1   5     123.75     250.00
> NN3A    CN1A    NN2U   5     117.47     230.00
> CN1A    NN2U    HN2   5     115.95     105.00

The mismatch here between function type in ffbonded.itp (5) and that which is
present in the topology (1) suggests something is more fundamentally wrong here.

> And in my .rtp file it looks like
>
> ; Col 1: angle classification
> ; Col 2: equilibrium bond angles in degrees
> ; COl 3: force constant in kcal/(mol*rad^2)
>
> [ angles ]
> N1    C2    O2     123.75     250.00
> N1    C2    N3     117.47     230.00
> C2    N3    H3     115.95     105.00
>

> What is the problem? Why are there still this missing lines in the topology?

Perhaps you haven't considered all possible angles.  Perhaps there's something
more systemically incorrect in what you've set up.  Based on a few snippets of
topology and force field files, unfortunately it's impossible to say at this point.

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080