[gmx-users] What is the autocorrelation time

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed May 16 20:38:34 CEST 2012

Dear users:

Let us say that I used g_analyze -g -fitfn exp and obtained the exponential autocorrelation time of a dataset. What does the exponential autocorrelation time represent? I imagine that it might be the time required to, on average, obtain a statistically independent sample, or perhaps the time required to obtain a 50% chance of the next sample being statistically independent. I've looked around the web and while I can find lots of information about how to obtain the exponential autocorrelation time, I am still unsure exactly what it represents.

Thank you,
Chris.