[gmx-users] Place water away from existing atoms

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 17 15:06:05 CEST 2012

On 5/17/12 9:00 AM, Steven Neumann wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Javier Cerezo <jcb1 at um.es <mailto:jcb1 at um.es>>
> wrote:
>
>     genbox calculates overlaps based on vdW radii as included in vdwradii.dat in
>     the topology folder. Increase the vdW radii of carbons to avoid water to
>     closer that you want. Other possibilities are patiently removing undesired
>     waters by hand after solvation or using a "ad-hoc" script.
>
>     Javier
>

> Thank you Javier. Can you please explain what is ad-hoc script and where I can
> find it?

The term "ad hoc" simply means something designed for a specific task, i.e. a
script you would write yourself.

The logic behind such a script is discussed in the following wiki page, though
it is designed for membrane solvation and you would have to amend it
considerably to suit your purpose.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Membrane_Simulations

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080