[gmx-users] RE: Re: Wierd results from Umbrella sampling (Justin A. Lemkul)

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 21 19:56:19 CEST 2012

On 5/21/12 10:05 AM, Du Jiangfeng (BIOCH) wrote:

Please don't reply to the entire digest message; copy and paste only the
relevant parts.

> On 5/16/12 4:08 AM, Du Jiangfeng (BIOCH) wrote:
>> Dear Sir/Madam,
>>
>> I have performed umbrella pulling and umbrella sampling my protein from a
>> DOPC/DOPS membrane. Unfortunately, the results are really bad (Energy curve
>> suddenly turns to zero at the last 1 nm) and the histograph does not show any
>> overlap. Actually, I did it strictly based on Justin's tutorial, with the
>> sample spacing of 0.2 nm.

Can you provide images of what your histograms and PMF profile look like?

> What energetic term is this?  A summation can decrease if the values being added
> are all negative.
>
> The energetic term should be binding energy.
> Even there are some samples with the negative energies but the energy curve shouldn't go to zero (I calculated them by hand).

I don't understand what this means.  Binding energy is not stored in the .edr
file, and I'm not clear what you calculated yourself.

>> Followings are some lines from the end of histograph file:
>>
>> Distance(nm) 5.455761 0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       8 5.483663      0       0       0       0
>> 0     0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       8 5.511565      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       12
>>   5.539467     0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       4 5.567369      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0
>> 0     0       0       0       0       0       0       0       2
>>

>> I am really depressed because it took me quiet a long time to sampling but it
>> seems in vain... I really no idea to find out what went wrong.
>>

> Nor do we.  What is in your .mdp file?  How many windows are you using?  What is
> the total desired length of the reaction coordinate, and what are the initial
> and final COM distances that you are restraining?  What are your box dimensions?
>
> -Justin
>
> My box dimensions are  x: 7.94677  y: 7.94677  z: 13.48094 (nm)
> The initial COM of DOPC(lipids) is at z=3.5 nm;
> The initial COM of my protein is at z= 6.65nm.
> The desired length is 3.6 nm, but it moved 3.4 nm along z-dimension.
> So I used 19 windows for 3.4 nm movement (0.17 nm / window)
>
> In pulling.mdp:
> dt= 2 fs;  nsteps=1 ns; nstxout=10 ps; nstvout=10ps
> rlist/rcoulomb/ rvdw= 1.4
> Tcoupl= v-rescale;  Pcoupl= Parrinello-Rahman
> ; Pull code
> pull            = umbrella
> pull_geometry   = distance  ; simple distance increase
> pull_dim        = N N Y
> pull_start      = yes       ; define initial COM distance>  0
> pull_ngroups    = 1
> pull_group0     = DOPC
> pull_group1     = protein
> pull_rate1      = 0.0036      ; 0.0036 nm per ps = 3.6 nm per ns
> pull_k1         = 1300      ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
>
> In umbrella sampling.mdp:
> nsteps=9.5 ns; pull_rate1= 0.0; pull_k1= 1000
> other parameters are same as pulling.mdp.
>

> Thank you for your help, above are my parameters.

In principle, this setup should work fine.  What does grompp say about the
restrained distances?  Does it agree with what you've calculated above in terms
of COM distances?

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080