[gmx-users] H3 of NPRO missing in AMBER force field

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 23 18:17:57 CEST 2012

On 5/23/12 4:08 PM, SebastianWaltz wrote:
> On 05/23/2012 02:16 PM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>>

>> On 5/23/12 12:17 PM, SebastianWaltz wrote:
>>> Hallo together,
>>>
>>> in the amino acid data base file (aminoacids.rtp) of the amber99sb-ildn
>>> force field the H3 hydrogen of NPRO is missing.
>>> Would be nice if someone could add the missing parameters or pose them.
>>>

>> There is no H3 in NPRO.  It is a secondary amine, so three H atoms
>> would give it five bonds.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
> As far as I remember the NPRO (like the NLEU) in the amber force field
> stands for the protonated N-termini of PRO and therefore should have
> three hydrogens like NLEU NALA and so on.

The "N" prefix simply means it is at the N-terminus, not necessarily that it is
protonated, though the typical forms of the terminal amino acids bear a net
charge in this group.

Back to the original question - have a look at the structure of proline; it is
quite different from every other amino acid since it contains a secondary amine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proline

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080