[gmx-users] Possible bug: energy changes with the number of nodes for energy minimization

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 29 14:53:59 CEST 2012

On 5/29/12 6:22 AM, Stephen Cox wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running a number of energy minimizations on a clathrate supercell and I get
> quite significantly different values for the total energy depending on the
> number of mpi processes / number of threads I use. More specifically, some
> numbers I get are:
>
> #cores      energy
> 1        -2.41936409202696e+04
> 2        -2.43726425776809e+04
> 3        -2.45516442350804e+04
> 4        -2.47003944216983e+04
>
> #threads    energy
> 1        -2.41936409202696e+04
> 2        -2.43726425776792e+04
> 3        -2.45516442350804e+04
> 4        -2.47306458924815e+04
>

> I'd expect some numerical noise, but these differences seem to0 large for that.

The difference is only 2%, which by MD standards, is quite good, I'd say ;)
Consider the discussion here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Reproducibility

To an extent, the information here may also be relevant:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Extending_Simulations#Exact_vs_binary_identical_continuation

> Before submitting a bug report, I'd like to check:
> a) if someone has seen something similar;

Sure.  Energies can be different due to a whole host of factors (discussed
above), and MPI only complicates matters.

> b) should I just trust the serial version?

Maybe, but I don't know that there's evidence to say that any of the above tests
are more or less accurate than the others.  What happens if you run with mdrun
-reprod on all your tests?

> c) have I simply done something stupid (grompp.mdp appended below);

Nope, looks fine.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080