[gmx-users] Re: boundaries in PMF

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Thu May 31 20:08:26 CEST 2012

Where is the center of mass of reference group (MOL) located?

It seems that the COM is near the middle of the ion channel. Since you
use 'pull_geometry=distance', g_wham will look only for the distance
between 'MOL' and 'Na' and that leads to problem.
If the com of 'MOL' sits in the center of the channel (which is around
5nm long), one has 2.5nm in both directions. Since g_wham uses only the
distance you get the PMF for half of the channel, but with the data of
both parts.
If the channel would be symmetric and the com of 'MOL' would lie exactly
in the middle of the channel, this could be ok. But if even one of both
assumptions is wrong, the results would be errorous.

A better approach would be to use 'pull_geometry=direction', since the
you define a vector along which the windows lie and do not have the
problem that the distance is in both directions (along positive and
negative vector) the same.
Only problem could be that g_wham supports 'pull_geometry=direction'
only from gromacs 4.5.x (don't know this, since instead of umbrella
smapling i use thermodynamik integration, where one uses constraints
(instead of restraints) and integrates the constraint-force; but the
conceptual problem with 'distance/direction' is the same).

Another approach (with 'pull_geometry=distance') would be to use a
reference group which is just outside of the channel (like going some
steps away from the channel, along the vector which goes through the
channel). If there is only water, it would be bad, because then the
reference group would be move away.
But then on could use the entry and exit of the channel as a reference
point for two simulations. In the case that the entry is the reference
group, the PMF would be ill defined near the entry, but from the
simulation with the exit as reference you would get the right PMF for
the entry region and vice versa.

Greetings
Thomas