[gmx-users] Question about conserved energy in MTTK

Shun Sakuraba sakuraba.shun at jaea.go.jp
Thu Nov 22 09:38:23 CET 2012

Dear list,

I am trying to use MTTK barostat in GROMACS 4.5.5.
After analyzing the result for a while, I found that the conserved energy (not total energy) of MTTK is drifting during the simulation.
The .xvg, .edr files are uploaded at [1] and [2]. It is drifting with a constant ratio of ca. -185 kJ/mol/ps.

I cannot believe this is an expected behavior, so could anyone point out where I am wrong in my simulation setup? I found similar report at [3] but seems it was when 4.5 was in pre-release stage.

Thanks in advance for your help!

* Simulation detail
The system consists of 1000 SPC-E water molecules, and the time step is set to 0.5 fs, just in case the long timestep harms the conserevation (c.f. [3]). The interaction energy is set to switching version, just in case, too. Changing these parameter does not seem to improve the conservation.
The double precision version of GROMACS is used (single precision version also has the same problem).
The system has been pre-equilibrated with Berendsen pressure coupling simulation with the same pressure and temperature.

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/16bgfhvavqcw1f8/mttk05.xvg
[2] https://www.dropbox.com/s/tg8butw39rmz8qk/mttk05.edr
[3] http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-developers/2010-January/003979.html

== .mdp file contents follow