[gmx-users] Re: DNA orientation restrain

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Oct 8 11:29:23 CEST 2012

Hi,

Yes. Although not applicable to all systems, as you correctly state, a slightly extended periodic DNA helix could still yield a smaller box since the non-periodic molecule would need a minimum distance to its periodic copy, the length of which depending on the non-bonded interactions. Hence, extending the helix by a few nucleotides could be worth it, depending on what you aim to study. On the other hand, neighbor searching is a bit slower when there are periodic molecules are present in the system, but I do not know how much of an effect that has on performance.

Best,

Erik