[gmx-users] rapid change in the angle of simulation cell - regd

ramesh cheerla rameshgromacs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 11:47:16 CEST 2012

Dear Tsjerk,

                      I am very thankful to you for your reply and sorry
for delay as  it has taken much time to understand the things properly.
I have gone through the material that you have attached with this mail that
is really useful.
Now I have understood that large  change in beta value of my simulation
cell  is because of Gromacs's  convenient  way to choose the periodic
boundary conditions and not because of forcefield that I have used.
  From your mail and Gromacs manual I have understood that, the box vectors
of a simulation unit cell should satisfy the three conditions given in the
chapter-3 of manual( eqs:3.1,3.2 & 3.3) if simulation unit cell satisfies
these conditions then that is called the reduced basis lattice(am i correct
? ).  According to you if we start the simulations with reduced basis
lattice then the difference in the angles of reference system and the
simulated system will become lesser.  For my simulations I have generated
simulation cell by using editconf as :
      editconf  -f  input.gro   -bt  triclinic    -box  3.30  2.7  8.055
  -angles 90 125.4  90  -o output_box.gro
then I have extracted box vectors from the output.gro and  checked for the
validity  of condition given in the chapter-3 of manual, from this  I
understood that the generated box obeying all the conditions except the one
in 3.3 i.e |Cx| <=1/2ax . Here my doubt is what changes can I make to my
system in order to make it follow all the rules required for the reduced
basis  lattice without disturbing its  morphology as it is a crystal, that
means how can I rotate, orient  or align my system are there any built in
tools in GROMACS to achieve this and how would I get new box vectors and
angles after rotating/aligning to generate the box for modified system.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Ramesh.