[gmx-users] pull=constraint gives zero forces

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Thu Oct 11 10:21:55 CEST 2012

See the SHAKE algorithm in the manual.
Especially equation (3.98)
-> G_i = \sum_k \lambda_k * (\partial \sigma_k)/(\partial r_i)
where G_i is the constraint force
\sigma_k are the equations for the constraints
and \lambda_k is the lagrange multiplier

'Understanding molecular simulation' (D. Frenkel, B. Smit)
gives these equations for bond-constraints as
\sigma = r_ij^2 - d_ij^2
where r_ij is the real distance, and d_ij to one to which one wants to
constrain the bond length

from this \lambda_k would correspond to a force constant.

Greetings
Thomas