[gmx-users] Martini FF....

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Oct 12 16:55:47 CEST 2012

On 10/12/12 10:42 AM, rama david wrote:
> Hi Gromacs friends,
>
> I planed to use martini coarse grained ff to my simulation protocol.
>
> My simulation protocol is:
>
> I am placing two  peptide at far distance.IAt these point i am using Gromos
> FF they are initially in random coil structure.
> Now when I run the simulation for 100 ns they are coming close in
> antiparallel fashion.
>

> Now I am placing more than two peptide ( 30) .I am using martini FF ,
> I found that they are coming closer
>
> I have practical result they are also showing random coil peptide changing
> to the Beta sheet structure.
>
> But my Query for Martini is :
>
> As the martini ff is not representing the change in Secondary structure.
> That the Secondary structure is predefined therefore they are statics
> through out the simulation.
>

> Is it wise to say by martini, peptide  aggregate are beta sheet
> structure..????

I don't think you can make that assertion with any confidence.  I have limited
experience with MARTINI, but it is for this very reason - the secondary
structure limitations are significant.  The force field is great for well-folded
proteins, but not for IDPs or amyloid systems.

> Another Query:
>
> Secondary structure are statics in simulation means that they are not
> changing at all in simulation. Alpha helix is going to remain alpha helix.
> or Secondary structure  can be change but we are not able to determine in
> which structure they will go.

No, the secondary structure is invariant.  There are actual bonds in the
topology between backbone atoms that fix the structure.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080