[gmx-users] A favor question: experience running Gromacs in the cloud

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Fri Oct 19 18:31:39 CEST 2012

Hi,

When it comes to hardware, pretty much the only thing that matters is
processors (CPUs and maybe GPUs) , memory will always be more than enough
-- unless you plan to run massive analysis in the cloud. In general, if
your simulation system runs fast enough on a single compute node (1-2
CPUs), the could could very well be worth it. When it comes to running over
a network, I'm not sure what the cloud-based options are, but I think it is
not not worth bothering with anything slower than 10G Ethernet or
Infiniband.

If you are not after a few long trajectories, but you're doing
some ensemble-simulations and need lots of independent trajectories, the
could will be quite well suited, especially if you can manage the
simulations in an elegant manner, e.g. see http://copernicus-computing.org.

I have no first hand concrete experience, but I know that some GROMACS
developers have been testing Amazon EC2 instances with pretty positive
results. You can get really low prices and good performance with the
"High-CPU Spot Instances".

Just to make it clear, I do not mean to advertise Amazon EC2, just that
I've only heard about first-hand experiences on this resource. There are
quite a few other cloud providers, so you might want compare and try before
buying!

Cheers,
--
Szilárd