[gmx-users] Error during CNP simulation

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 28 20:50:11 CET 2012

I presume that your 7.5 nm -> 15 nm resizing refers to the Cartesian dimension that lies along the bilayer normal?

Also, are you sure that the nanoparticle drifts significantly closer to the bilayer "during minimization", as you stated? That sounds unlikely. Perhaps this drift occurred during MD simulation after energy minimization?

How did you implement your restraints? My first try would be using the pull code harmonic restraints to restrain the distance between the center of mass of the bilayer and the center of mass of the nanoparticle, only applying the force along the dimension of your global bilayer normal. Note that, when doing this, the distance must always remain less than 1/2 of the box length along that dimension or your simulation will be unstable.

How did the system "blow up"? Was it a LINCS-based crash or massive expansion of the box or just that the bilayer fell apart? Did it blow up during energy minimization or MD simulation?

Chris.