[gmx-users] strange RMSD output

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 28 20:55:07 CET 2012

Try looking at the RMSD after fitting only the the backbone that is not in this variable loop.
Since you are fitting to the whole protein, and your entire protein group is larger than your loop,
your result does not surprise me. I would suggest:

a) Do the fitting based on the backbone but excluding the variable loop
b) Compute the RMSD for the i) whole backbone, ii) backbone excluding the loop, and iii) the backbone of the loop only.

Finally, next time please post all relevant commands that you used. You don't mention using the -fit command in
g_rms and you don;t mention running trjconv to do a preliminary fitting. You make it harder for us to help you
when you provide incomplete information and we need to guess what you did.

Chris.