[gmx-users] Ligand Internal energy

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 6 04:51:59 CEST 2012

On 6/09/2012 12:15 PM, Marcelo Depolo wrote:
> I am not from the area but I believe that a quantum approach is needed for
> proper validation of protein-ligand complex.
> Use Gromacs in order to lead you to the best frame (or pose), but calculate
> the energies in a quantum perspective.

Well that would be better if feasible. The basic limitation of MM force
fields is that the charges are fixed at parameterization time, and do
not change in response to their environment. Proteins bind ligands in
part because they offer a more suitable environment for the ligand,
which means each will polarize the other. So the usual approach to
charge in the MM methodology is fundamentally limited here.