[gmx-users] Effect of refcoord_scaling

Matthias Ernst Matthias.Ernst2 at student.kit.edu
Thu Sep 6 17:55:43 CEST 2012

> The problem could be gen_vel=no if you are not loading velocities that are consistent with your production temperature of 200 K. If, for example, you do not load any velocities at all, then the initial forces will quickly be scaled up to reach 200 K and this can cause large scale deformations/rearrangements.
I have generated velocities the step before (in NpT equilibration) and
for the same temperature (200K). So, I would not think this causes the
error as the should be transferred by using the resulting gro-file from
NpT as input for production MD run.
> There are a number of other strange things (like nstlist=5 with dt=0.0005 -- nstlist seems unnecessarily frequent, the 200 K temperature, and your use of separate temperature coupling groups which does not give the correct ensemble). Still, those are tangents to your main question.
If I repeat it, I should do so with "correct" parameters, I think. Or do
you suggest to repeat it with the very same parameter set as before?
To address the things you mentioned:
- What should or can nstlist be set to?
- 200K have been chosen because at higher temperatures, the test systems
used to move even more.
- Concerning the coupling groups: you mean, I should use a group for
protein and DNA as whole? But isn't restraining the DNA also a
perturbation of the ensemble? At least, I thought that this way the
temperature of the protein should not be affected by the restraints on
the DNA. Tthis was the reason why I put several coupling groups and why
I asked yesterday if it would be better not to couple the restrained DNA
to the thermostate or set its temperature to 0.
> Nevertheless, if you don't have time to run any more simulations (as you stated earlier) then none of this is really going to help you. If, on the other hand, you do have time to run other simulations, then I still think you should start with repeating your result.
That's true. I fear, I will not be able to get it finished till next
week but at least, I can try, start some jobs and see how far I can get.

Thank you very much for your help,
Matthias