[gmx-users] umbrella sampling (PMF) position discrepancy

Raphael Alhadeff raphael.alhadeff at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon Sep 10 17:54:46 CEST 2012

Hi Justin, thank you for you quick reply.

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 9/10/12 11:22 AM, Raphael Alhadeff wrote:
>
>> Dear Gromacs users,
>>
>> I've been trying to run an umbrella sampling (for the purpose of pmf)
>> using
>> Gromacs 4.5.5.
>> My system consists of a membrane protein transporter and a Na ion passing
>> through it, from the water bulk on one side of the membrane to the water
>> bulk on the other side. I've used the protein as the reference group and
>> the Na ion as the pull group 1 (I've attached the mdp file below). I have
>> used position geometry because to my understanding it is good for the case
>> where the pulled group crosses the reference's COM. I made 31 frames where
>> the ion is <0.2 nm apart, from -2 nm to +2 (in respect to the COM of the
>> protein). I confirmed these distances using g_traj and g_dist on the
>> starting gro files.
>>
>> As I run the g_wham analysis, using -v, I see that the 'position' of each
>> of my frames are highly different than the distances I've measured in the
>> gro files, not only in value but also relative to each other. The same
>> numbers appear in the pull_x or pull_f (after converting appropriately)
>> files.
>> So what I don't understand is how does Gromacs calculate the values for
>> pull_x (and thus for the 'position' for g_wham). I was under the
>> impression
>> it uses COM distance between group0 and group1, but trying to compare
>> using
>> g_traj or g_dist proved me wrong.
>> I have pasted 5 datapoints as an example below, giving the distance
>> measured by g_dist and the distance that pull_x gives:
>>
>> time(ps)   g_dist(z)    pull_x(1dz)
>> 0          0.894        -1.817
>> 10         0.857        -1.698
>> 20         0.897        -1.866
>> 30         0.890        -1.913
>> 40         0.966        -1.781
>> 50         0.819        -1.76
>>

>> I've read countless of threads before posting this, and could not find any
>> answer, and will be very appreciative for some light into this.
>>

> The result of g_dist is the positive root of the distance equation.  It
> also uses x, y, and z components of the distance, while in your case only
> the z component may be relevant.  The dist.xvg file(s) will have each
> component listed after the total distance in subsequent columns.
>
> I understand, and that is what I think I posted in the example. I have the
z component of g_dist and following that my umbrella simulation pull_x 1dz
value (which according to the parameters I gave in the mdp, should to the
best of my knowledge, give the same number) yet the numbers are quite
different.

>> I should mention that I am not using positional restraints on the protein.
>> I assume that since the protein is inside the membrane and the ion is much
>> smaller than the protein, the PR is not required, and I wanted the protein
>> to be able to adjust slightly to the movement of the ion (this is a
>> transporter, not a channel).
>> If this is the reason that is causing me trouble I will be happy to have a
>> short explanation on why this makes the distances seem somewhat random.
>>
>> Lastly, I will use this opportunity on the forum to have 2 technical
>> clarifications -
>> -Using pull_init = 0 (or any other number) does not overrun pull_start,
>> rather it adds up, correct?
>>

> Correct.  The output of grompp prints the distances that will be used, as
> a way to check.
>

>  -What is the difference between the profile.xvg created (default name) and
>> the pmfintegrated.xvg that is sometimes being created, and how does g_wham
>> decide whether to create one or not?
>>

> Which flag is giving you pmfintegrated.xvg?  That's not a default name, so
> without your g_wham command line, we can't guess.
>
> -Justin
>
> That is what I don't understand, I gave no flag for this file, my command
line is simply
g_wham -ix pull_x.dat -it tpr.dat -v

Thank you again,

Raphael