[gmx-users] LINCS warning in md run

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 18 15:03:49 CEST 2012

On 9/18/12 8:58 AM, reisingere at rostlab.informatik.tu-muenchen.de wrote:
> Okey,
>   now I tried it without any fixed residues. But still the energy after the
> minimization is not very low and I still get the LINCS warnings.
>
> The mdp file I use for the minimization looks like this:
>
> define                  = -DPOSRES

Restraints during minimization generally restrict motion in the same way that
freezing does.  Again, this is a potential barrier to sufficient minimization.

> integrator              = steep
> emtol                   = 10
> nsteps                  = 1500
> nstenergy               = 1
> energygrps              = System
> coulombtype             = PME
> rcoulomb                = 0.9
> rvdw                    = 0.9
> rlist                   = 0.9
> fourierspacing          = 0.12
> pme_order               = 4
> ewald_rtol              = 1e-5
> pbc                     = xyz
>

> the mdp file for the md run looks like this:
>
> define          = -DPOSRES
> integrator              = md
> dt                      = 0.001
> nsteps          = 5000
> nstxout         = 100
> nstvout         = 0
> nstfout         = 0
> nstlog          = 1000
> nstxtcout               = 500
> nstenergy               = 5
> energygrps              = Protein Non-Protein
> nstcalcenergy   = 5
> nstlist         = 10
> ns-type         = Grid
> pbc                     = xyz
> rlist           = 0.9
> coulombtype             = PME
> rcoulomb                = 0.9
> rvdw            = 0.9
> fourierspacing          = 0.12
> pme_order               = 4
> ewald_rtol              = 1e-5
> gen_vel         = yes
> gen_temp                = 200.0
> gen_seed                = 9999
> constraints             = all-bonds
> tcoupl          = V-rescale
> tc-grps         = Protein  Non-Protein
> tau_t           = 0.1     0.1
> ref_t           = 298     298
> pcoupl          = no
>

> The output of the minimization run is:
>
> Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 15 steps,
> but did not reach the requested Fmax < 10.
> Potential Energy  = -7.9280412e+05
> Maximum force     =  1.0772942e+04 on atom 979
> Norm of force     =  9.6685356e+01

Note that this outcome is even worse than before.  The maximum force is now over
10,000.

> The output of the MD run is:
>
> Step 1031, time 1.031 (ps)  LINCS WARNING
> relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
> rms 0.001431, max 0.010707 (between atoms 976 and 979)
> bonds that rotated more than 30 degrees:
>   atom 1 atom 2  angle  previous, current, constraint length
>      976    979   81.6    0.1272   0.0970      0.0960

As you should expect.  If you can't get a reasonable minimization, the MD will
always crash.

> The atom 979 is the hydrogen atom on the phosphate. There has to be one
> hydrogen atoms because it is protonated once. The other atom 976 is the
> oxygen atom where the hydrogen atom is bound to.
> The bounding parameters for this kind of binding were already there. I
> didn't add them.
>
> I already did it for another phosphorylation on another position in this
> structure. And here I also got many LINCS errors. And again the problem is
> the connection between the hydrogen atom and the oxygen atom.
>
> But I do not understand why.

Remove all restraints/freezing/whatever in the .mdp file and try the EM again.
If it still does not converge to a reasonable value, then there are two
potential problems:

1. The topology is flawed and thus the structure cannot be run stably
2. The structure cannot accommodate phosphate in this location and due to
unresolvable clashes, the runs fail

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080