[gmx-users] Re: v-rescale

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 00:34:01 CEST 2012

I've done some extensive testing (paper on testing method in the
works) and vrescale gives a very accurate ensemble very well for NVT.
Parrinello-Rahman and MTTK are the only algorithms that are correct
for NPT.  Berendsen barostat is not.  Note that there is a bug with
vrescale + md-vv + that is fixed in 4.6 and (hopefully) for the next
patch of 4.5.

For equilibrating a system, Berendsen for both temperature and
pressure is the best bet.  They artificially minimize fluctuations,
which is great for equilibration, bad for data collection.