[gmx-users] pca-based MD

Thomas Evangelidis tevang3 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 16:42:19 CEST 2012

On 23 September 2012 17:18, James Starlight <jmsstarlight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> thank you for the explanation
>
> 1) Indeed ED sampling was exactly that I need. It's not quite
> understand for me about correct chose of that parameters for biassing
> simulation
>
> -linfix      string         Indices of eigenvectors for fixed increment
>                             linear sampling
> -linacc      string         Indices of eigenvectors for acceptance linear
>                             sampling
> -radfix      string         Indices of eigenvectors for fixed increment
>                             radius expansion
> -radacc      string         Indices of eigenvectors for acceptance radius
>                             expansion
> -radcon      string         Indices of eigenvectors for acceptance radius
>                             contraction
>
> What exactly I need is the biasing of the new MD run along one
> specified eigenvector which I've extracted from previous run. So it's
> not quite understand for me what chose would be most correct e.g
> linnear sampling along that eigenvector or rafius expansion.

Unfortunately I haven't ever used ED sampling myself so someone else might
explain what these parameters are meant for.

> 2) Also I want to perform such biassing along PC mode extracted from
> the X-ray data-set of my protein. E.g on first step I calculate PC
> from the X-ray data-set consisted of different functional relevant
> conformations of my protein ( for this purpose I need create
> trajectory from that x-ray data-set firstly). Than I'm looking for one
> PC which correspond to biological relevant motion ( e.g opening of
> active center seen in first PC). Finally I want to perform MD from one
> start structure ( e,g its closed form) along extracted 1 PC from x-ray
> data-set. For that step I also must make *.edi file for further md_run
> of the protein firslty. Does this workflow correct in general ? :)
>

> 3) This FMA technique is very intresting indeed. As I've understood It
> can be usefull in case where I could not find biological-relevent
> motion along one specified PCs ( In that case the combination of the
> PCs might represent this motion which can correspond to one
> eigenvector made by FMA). Does it correct ?

It is highly unlikely that a functionally relevant motion is explained by a
single PC. FMA gives the degree in which each PC affects (and thus is
correlated to) the functional quantity you chose (e.g. the volume of the
active site), it does not give you a single eigenvector. For instance you
may have found that the opening of your active site is well explained by
the first PC. Yet, FMA may give you that this functional quantity (volume
of the active site) is affected from the 1st PC by 70%, from the 2nd by 5%,
from the 3rd by 12%, and from the 4th by 7% and to the 5th by 6%. It is
more accurate then to use PC1-5 in ED sampling.

email: tevang at pharm.uoa.gr

          tevang3 at gmail.com

website: https://sites.google.com/site/thomasevangelidishomepage/