[gmx-users] rapid change in the angle of simulation cell - regd

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 09:39:06 CEST 2012

Hi Ramesh,

Did you note how your atoms didn't change their positions? And how you
can still stack them using either set of vectors? It's a great example
of how PBC works. It's not the box that's important, not the vectors,
but the infinite simulation system that results from stacking the unit
cell contents, using the lattice vectors. And there's an infinite
number of lattice vectors that give the same result. Not all of these
vectors are practical to work with from a computational point of view.
What Gromacs does is choosing the vectors that are most convenient to
work with, which is laid down in the rules for box vectors given in
chapter 3 of the manual. This is called the reduced basis of the
lattice. For what you want to do, you need to identify the smallest
difference angle between the lattice vectors in your system and your
reference. The best way to do that is to work with the reduced basis
from the start. Any other set of lattice vectors will give lower
difference angles.
If you don't really get what I'm writing here, you may want to check
Appendix A in http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/science/2006/t.a.wassenaar/03_c3.pdf

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk