[gmx-users] Intercalation DNA-Ethidium bromide

Paulo Netz paulo.netz at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 03:39:15 CEST 2012

Dear Hovakim

Actually it is possible that the ethidium bromide is
indeed intercalating in the DNA, because this is
expected to happen (experimentally)  but if you really
see the intercalation, it could be just luck. The time
scale needed, in order that such even happens in
classical molecular dynamics simulations, is
usually very large. Nevertheless, the presence of
intercalation could be easily checked by visual
inspection of the structures and by looking at the
values of some key base-pair step parameters,
such as rise and twist.  In my opinion, it is better
to generate an artificial gap in the DNA structure,
in order to sample the intercalation binding mode
as a reasonable starting point for MD simulations.

Best regards

Paulo Netz