[gmx-users] Re: cannot read frames out from trr files

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Apr 4 10:16:09 CEST 2013

On 4/3/13 11:03 PM, mu xiaojia wrote:
> Thanks Justin,
>
> It never happens to my simulations before, is there anyway to figure out
> what caused this corruption?  the log file and screen outputs didn't
> mentioned any error message. I am wandering if it was caused by the
> unstable super-cluster I am currently using, because on another
> super-clusters, it never happened before.

I wouldn't necessarily call it an unstable cluster, but file system blips can
happen.  I've seen it a few times on different clusters.  Judicious use of
gmxcheck and running jobs in intervals (while saving checkpoints) is the only
foolproof way to ensure the integrity of your output files.

-Justin

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 4/3/13 8:42 PM, mu xiaojia wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry for the typo, the last evidence"4) I also compared the generated
>>> files' sizes, A = B in trr, edr , gro, cpt, if B crashes before reaching
>>> 100ns, the size would **NOT*** be the same as A."
>>>

>> You probably have a corrupted frame.  The simulation continued and the
>> .trr file continued being written, so you see comparable file sizes.
>>
>> -Justin
>>

>>> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM, mu xiaojia <muxiaojia2010 at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>   Dear GMX users,

>> --
>> ==============================**==========
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>> Research Scientist
>> Department of Biochemistry
>> Virginia Tech
>> Blacksburg, VA
>> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080
>> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.**vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin<http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin>

>> * Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>> * Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/**Support/Mailing_Lists<http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists>

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080