[gmx-users] Re: How to set the sigma and epsilon for Cu2+ in OPLS-AA/L

Dr. Vitaly Chaban vvchaban at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 10:03:52 CEST 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM, fantasticqhl <fantasticqhl at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Dear Dr. Vitaly Chaban,
>
> Thanks very much for your patient and detailed suggestions on this
> problem. Actually, I am doing what your suggested now.
> I optimized the copper-ligand complex using QM method, and then did some
> QM scannings to derive the bond and angle force constants.
> Right now, I am doing the MM scanning using the same coordinates which
> were used in the QM scanning. What we want is that the MM curves
> can reproduce the QM curves.

I think it is simply impossible in your case to reproduce the QM curves.
You neglect charge transfer from copper to the ligand, resulting a chemical
bond formation, you neglect finite T effect in your MD. If you want to
remain in the framework of LJ+Coulomb, the best think you can get is
reproduction of ion-ligand binding energy and more or less adequate
distance ion-closest atom of the ligand

> But some of them agreed well, some of them did not. So I try to tune the
> sigma of the liganded atoms, however,
> it is a little complicated to tune many liganded atoms at the same time. I
> am still trying to work it out.

Start from the sigma for "ion-closest atom of the ligand". All other atoms
will adjust automatically, since they are connected all together within the
ligand.

My personal viewpoint, which you may share or not, is not to do anything
with sigmas of other atoms of the ligand. It is best for future portability
to limit refinement to the ion only.